Justice Gabriel Kolawole has deferred ruling in
the bail application filed by media mogul,
Chief Raymond Dokpesi who is being tried by
the Federal Government on six count charges
of violation of Public Procurement laws and
After listening to Mike Ozekhome, counsel for
Dokpesi and Rotimi Jacobs, counsel for the
Federal Government on why the media mogul
should or should not be granted bail, the
Judge adjourned ruling till noon on Monday,
He however ordered that Dokpesi should be
returned to EFCC custody.
President Muhammadu Buhari will on Friday,
December 11, 2015, deliver a keynote address
at the 15th session of the Osigwe Anyiam-
Osigwe lecture series at the International
Conference Centre in Abuja.
The President will be speaking on:
“Incorruptibility: A Spiritual Premise for
The event starts at 10.am.
Some previous keynote speakers at the Osigwe
Anyiam-Osigwe Foundation lecture series
include former Isreali Prime Minister and
President, Shimon Peres, former President of
Czech Republic, Prof. Vaclav Klaus, former
Vice President of America, Al Gore, former
British Prime Minister, John Major, former
President of Brazil, Professor Fernando
Cardoso, former Chancellor of the Federal
Republic of Germany, Dr Helmet Kohl and
Tibetan Spiritual Leader, Dalai Lama.
On Tuesday, Olukayode Ajulo, the National
Secretary of the Labour Party (LP), tendered
his resignation letter amidst crisis purportedly
rocking the national leadership of the party.
In the letter, which was addressed to the
Party’s National Chairman Abdulkadir
Abdulsalam, Mr. Ajulo, a constitutional lawyer,
claimed he submitted his resignation in order
to concentrate fully on his career as a
A source informed SaharaReporters that due
to Mr. Ajulo’s resignation the Labour Party is
swimming in a “crisis”.
“All is not well in the party, many of our
members are at loggerheads. Some are even
ready to move out,” the source said.
Mr. Ajulo, a lackey to Governor Olusegun
Mimiko of Ondo State, emerged as the
National Secretary of the Labour Party in
October 2014 at a congress meeting of the
party’s National Working Committee (NWC),
held in Akure, the State capital.
The meeting, fully sponsored by Governor
Mimiko, was embroiled in a crisis as delegates
kicked against the emergence of some of the
Party’s leaders including that of Kayode Ajulo
who had been riding on the back of the
Governor without the proper conduct of an
In July 2015, there was a crisis between Mr.
Ajulo and Mr. Abdulsalam, when the former
issued a statement on behalf of the Labour
Party calling on President Muhammadu
Buhari to set up an inclusive government.
However, the leadership of the Party was quick
to react by distancing itself over the
Mr. Abdulsalam described Mr. Ajulo’s
statement as ‘his personal opinion’ and
disowned the National Secretary after
stressing that there was no reason the Labour
Party would join any inclusive government of
the All Progressives Congress (APC).
“The statement credited to our National
Secretary is quite embarrassing and is taken
very seriously by the LP. He spoke for himself;
it is not the position of the party. For any
policy statement of that nature to come out
from the party, it must come from either the
chairman or publicity secretary,” the statement
signed by Mr. Abdulsalam read.
It was gathered that since the lingering crisis
both leaders have been at each other’s throat
over largess that comes from Governor
Mimiko, a well-known sponsor of the Party.
Several sources in the Labour Party told
SaharaReporters described Mr. Ajulo’s
leadership style as “dominating” comparing it
to the administration of Governor Olusegun
The immediate past Minister of Finance, Ngozi
Okonjo-Iweala, illegally approved the transfer
of at least N61.4 billion ($300 million and
£5.5 million) from funds recovered from late
dictator, Sani Abacha, to the Office of the
National Security Adviser, Sambo Dasuki, few
weeks to the 2015 presidential election,
PREMIUM TIMES authoritatively report today.
The former Minister signed off on the transfer
but then closed her eyes to how the funds
were spent, requesting then President
Goodluck Jonathan to directly demand
accountability from Mr. Dasuki, according to
documents seen by the newspaper.
The funds were never appropriated before they
were transferred, a clear violation of Nigeria’s
fiscal responsibility law.
Mr. Dasuki, alongside the former governor of
Sokoto State, Attahiru Bafarawa and founder
of DAAR communications, owners of Africa
Independent Television and Raypower radio
network, Raymond Dokpesi, are being
investigated for their roles in the disbursement
of $2.1 billion and N643 billion meant for the
procurement of arms to fight the raging
insurgency in Nigeria’s north east region.
The recovered Abacha loot are funds returned
to the Nigerian government from monies
stolen from the country’s treasury by Mr.
The late dictator stole an estimated $5 billion
from Nigeria and the money is being returned
in tranches after agreement with countries
such as Switzerland and the United States. So
far $700 million has been repatriated from
It is not clear whether these funds in question
were part of the arms procurement funds for
which Mr Dasuki is being investigated.
But a letter signed by Mrs Okonjo-Iweala, seen
by PREMIUM TIMES, showed that 50 per cent
of the recently recovered Abacha loot was
allotted for “urgent security need” such as the
procurement of arms and ammunition while
the other half was set aside to be used for
The letter, dated January 20, 2015, which was
addressed to Mr Jonathan revealed that the
money was transferred following a January 12,
2015 request by the office of the NSA under
Mr Dasuki for funds for the procurement of
arms and ammunition as well as intelligence
“Please find a request by the National Security
Adviser (NSA) for the transfer of $300 million
and £5.5 million of the recovered Abacha
funds to an ONSA [Office of the National
Security Adviser] operations account,” the
“The NSA has explained that this is to enable
the purchase of ammunition, security, and
other intelligence equipment for the security
agencies in order to enable them fully confront
the ongoing Boko Haram threat.
“His request is sequel to the meeting you
chaired with the committee on the use of
recovered funds where the decision was made
that recovered Abacha funds would be split
50-50 between urgent security needs to
confront Boko Haram and development need
(including a portion for the Future Generations
window of the Sovereign Wealth Fund),” Mrs
She added that the letter was to seek Mr
Jonathan’s approval for the funds to be
disbursed to the ONSA. The former minister
further explained that the money being
transferred formed part of the Federal
Government Independent Revenue.
However, instead of insisting on overseeing
how the disbursed funds were spent, as the
country’s chief financial officer, she abdicated
her responsibility, expecting and asked Mr
Dasuki to account directly to Mr Jonathan.
“This letter is to seek your approval to borrow
these funds, for now, to disburse to the NSA.
These funds form part of the projected Federal
Government Independent Revenue, to be
appropriated, in the light and for
accountability, given the peculiar nature of
security and intelligence transactions, we
would expect the NSA to account to Your
Excellency for the utilisation of the funds,” she
In a January 30, 2015 letter, Mr. Jonathan
approved the transfer.
President Muhammadu Buhari declared
Wednesday in Abuja that the return of persons
displaced by the Boko Haram insurgency to
their home communities will begin in earnest
Speaking at an audience with a delegation
from the International Rescue Committee (IRC)
led by former British Foreign Minister, Mr.
David Miliband, President Buhari said that his
administration will do all within its powers to
facilitate the quick return and resettlement of
over two million internally displaced persons
in their towns and villages.
The President told Mr. Miliband and his
delegation that the Federal Government will
welcome the support of the IRC and other
local and international non-governmental
organizations for the rehabilitation of
internally displaced persons.
“In 2016, the return of the IDPs will start in
earnest. They will return to their communities
to meet destroyed schools and other
infrastructure which have to be rebuilt.
“With agriculture being moribund in the region
in the last two years without cropping, hunger
is already manifest. We will welcome all the
help we can get to assist the returnees, ”
President Buhari said.
Responding to a request by Mr. Miliband for
the Federal Government’s priorities as to the
nature of assistance required for the IDPs, the
President said that there was an urgent need
for support in the areas of agricultural inputs,
health, nutrition, water and sanitation.
President Buhari urged the IRC and other
international agencies to work with the
Presidential Committee on the North-East and
the National Emergency Management Agency
(NEMA) which, he said, were already doing a
lot to cater for the IDPs and restore some
basic infrastructure in communities affected by
terrorism and insurgency.
Mr. Miliband assured President Buhari that
the IRC will intensify its ongoing work in
Nigeria which has assisted over 350,000
displaced persons, mainly in Adamawa and
He called for an increased security presence in
recovered towns and territories, saying that
most prospective returnees still feared for their
safety on their return home.